Faithful attendance to school is not only a requirement for the State of West Virginia, but it is also crucial to the mastering of important academic skills. Your child’s attendance is very important to their success at school. Regular attendance is monitored closely and students with perfect attendance are recognized at awards assemblies.
Formal Attendance Policy of Ritchie County Schools:
Rationale and Philosophy: The Ritchie County Board of Education believes that regular school attendance is essential for a student’s development in the classroom as well as in their future life endeavors. Irregular school attendance obstructs the potential to acquire basic skills and the needed credentials for employment, higher education, and overall success in life.
Principles of Operation: Students are to attend school each day beginning with the school year in which the sixth birthday is reached prior to September 1 of such Year or upon enrolling in a publicly supported kindergarten program. School attendance continues to the sixteenth birthday or for as long as the student is enrolled in the school system after the sixteenth birthday.
Excused absence: These absences are to be considered excused by state and/or county policy:
- Illness or injury of the student requiring a physician’s verification. (A physician’s verification is an actual excuse from a doctor’s office. It must be signed and dated by the doctor).
- Medical and/or dental appointment which cannot be scheduled outside the school day. The absence must be verified in writing by the physician or dentist.
- Illness or injury in the family when the student absence is verified as essential by a physician.
- Calamity, such as fire, flood, family emergency, or failure of the bus to run upon approval by the school administrator.
- Death in the family, limit three (3) days for each occurrence, except in the extraordinary circumstances. “Family” defined as mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother’s children, sister’s children, or student’s own child(ren).
- Leaves of educational value adhering to these stipulations:
-Prior approval of the school administrator
-Prior submission and approval of educational plan detailing objectives and activities
-Leave not exceed 10 days
-Leave to extend more than 10 days requires county board approval
- Observance of religious holidays.
- Pediculosis or Scabies- Students with these conditions will have a one day excused absence. Any absence exceeding this one day will require a doctor’s statement attesting additional time is needed to eradicate the problem.
- Absence from school based upon approval of school principal or administrator.
- Illness of a student verified by a parent/guardian not to exceed three consecutive or five total days per semester.
- Illness or injury of a student that is excused by the school administrator or designee.
- School approved curricular or extra-curricular activities.
- Participation in home/hospital instruction due to illness, injury, or other extraordinary circumstances that warrants such. This will be implemented in accordance with federal, state, and county policy.